Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Hamilton Wright Mabie



This post is going to be an odd one this post has to do with a friend of mine who just got out of prison last year. The quote is one that tells me to learn from my mistakes and move on from the past. The quote is a very kind “The question for each man to settle is not what he would do if he had means, time, influence and educational advantages; the question is what he will do with the things he has. The moment a young man ceases to dream or to bemoan his lack of opportunities and resolutely looks his conditions in the face, and resolves to change them, he lays the corner-stone of a solid and honorable success.” From Hamilton Wright Mabie.

            My friend and I were talking about what he was going to do with himself. He said he is going to get an apartment and become a mechanic. He also said that he wishes things could have been different. He feels like he is a disappointment to everyone that looks at him. None the less he wants to start new he wants to move on. He believes he deserved his jail time. He wants to call that his time of cleansing. He said the thing that got him through it all is the discussion groups. He got the enjoyment of talking to other people who have done similar things like him.

            When I meant him I never knew he was in prison. He helped me understand that everyone makes mistakes no matter who they are. Learn from your mistakes and move on. Your greatest enemy is yourself. Only you can hold yourself back. “If you set your mind to anything you can achieve something even greater.” One of the hardest things for a person to do is to not judge someone from first glance. I try not to do this. Keep an open mind and realize that could be you in those shoes.



1 comment:

  1. One thing that popped out at me in this blog is that you said “only you can hold yourself back”. I have my own philosophy on the subject, and thought I would share. It is true that one ’s self is the only thing holding them back, and people take that for granted. I see so many people with big dreams that are left unfulfilled, and it saddens me. Always try to fulfill your dreams, and reach for the stars, if you will. There will be many things and many people that will get in your way or will try to hold you back from your dreams, even if they don’t realize that they are purposely holding you back. If something comes in the way of your dreams you need to get past it, whether that means leaving it behind or putting it aside for a while, to reach self-realization, and always do what makes you happy. Only you can hold yourself back.

    ReplyDelete